Thursday, June 2, 2011

An Emotional End To A New Beginning!


Okay, so before anyone gets in a tiff, yes, I acknowledge that it's been an eternity since my last blog. In my defense, I have thought to myself many times that I need to get in here and write SOMETHING. But, as Bob Marley once said," The good times of today are the sad thoughts of tomorrow." Or was it something about the good thoughts of today are... the...um... whatever it was, I'm sure it was inspirational.

Now, in the past for this particular blog, I wrote about how my classes were going and complain about them.I kiiiiinnnddaaa soooorrrttaaa missed all last semester, so I'll take a quick minute to fill ya in.

So, last semester was my final semester at that school. Which, explains why I wasn't able to find the time to blog. Most other semesters I only took 4 classes. This was to keep my work load down so I could have time between classes to study and to relax, play with the kids, and do other things that i will spare the details on. My last semester though, I took 6 classes so I could get it done and finish on time. My class load consisted of the following: African American History, Speech (again), Educational Psychology, Composition II, Human Biology and Human Bio Lab.

None of these classes individually were all too difficult. Af Am history was an 8am class and I think that that was by far the hardest class I had, but only because of the time factor. God I hate mornings. I ended up retaking Speech because I admittedly didn't get a good grade the first time around. I did make a new friend in that class and we helped each other out a lot so it's all good :) Ed Psych was a great class. At first I was a bit concerned that the class wasn't well structured and I felt as though I was missing something. But, towards the end of the semester, things really all came together and made sense. As an added bonus, the teacher was incredibly awesome and I consider her a friend now. Comp II was just odd. I did a crap load of research for papers, hours upon hours of typing, editing, retyping, reediting, retyping... and after all that, I can't really tell you what I learned or what I got out of it. Oh wait! yes I can! 3 credits and a 400 extra bucks on my student loads. :/

Human Biology on the other hand is totally worth blogging about. The teacher? Annoying with a weird-ass sense of humor. Classmates? Mostly ok, except for this one girl who was just plain annoying and guess who she clung to? mhmm.... We did everything from studying bones, examining slides and dissecting animals. Yes, that's right, I dissected an animal. Ok, well, my lab partner did as I sat there and squealed like a girl and tried my hardest not to vomit all over the table. I'm rather ashamed, I thought I was stronger than that. But, alas, apparently ripping apart an animal is not my cup of tea. Whooda thunk it?!

So there's a quick recap of the final semester. Not too shabby. I got all signed up for graduation and was proud as punch that I finally accomplished something! Graduation invites went out, a Facebook page was made, garage cleaned out and plans for a party made. Then my wonderful luck kicked in. Three days prior to the big day..... no wait, I'll go back a bit further. About a year and a half ago, I broke a tooth. It was a baby tooth that I still had, so it didn't have a nerve in it anymore and it didn't hurt at all. So of course, being me, I ignored it in lieu of spending 2000 bucks to get it fixed. Fast forward to present day. Back to three days before graduation. My tooth got a twinge. I thought, ah, no biggie. A little Tylenol and I'll be fine. Two days before, It started to hurt like mad. I thought, no problem! Little more Tylenol and I can made it through graduation and my party. By the time I woke up the day before graduation, I was in tears. The pain was so intense I started throwing up. I called my dentist and he was able to get me in within minutes of my phone call. He ended up shooting me up with Novocaine in 8 different places before the pain went away and I could no longer feel the throbbing. He then proceeded to bust my tooth into three pieces to get it out. You'll feel better now he says... as he hands me a prescription for pain pills. Let me tell you something. NO amount of pain pills will help take the pain away from having a tooth busted into three pieces and then PRIED from your mouth. So alas, I missed my graduation ceremony and my party. :( Will it be rescheduled? Everyone here at home insists that it will be, but somehow, I seriously doubt it. *sigh*

I was rather depressed for a few days afterward, and to a point I still am. But life goes on right? YES! As a matter of fact it does! lol! I recently put in my application to Iowa State University and was told that I have a pretty good chance of being admitted into the History/Education program. I realize that this is going to be one of the biggest challenges of my life to date, but I feel I am ready to take it on! Since I already took a lot of my education classes and history classes that are transferable to ISU, I'll be entering as a Junior. That means only 2 years, 1 and a half if I'm lucky, until I graduate with a BA in History with a teachers certificate, with endorsements on World history and political science! Go me!

Backtracking a bit, and the whole reason I felt compelled to write tonight, something happened to me today that I had to share and didn't think I could express my joy in a single Facebook status message. This day will go down in the history books for me. I have marked it on my calender to refer to for the rest of my life. I have *insert another cheesy cliche here*. I got my diploma in the mail today. See, at graduation time, the final grades haven't been released yet, so when you walk across the stage, they just give you a blank piece of rolled up paper. Bastards. Then when they make sure you passed, they mail you your real diploma. I admit, when I opened it, I got a bit teary. I proudly showed it off to everyone that I came in contact with and they all said it was awesome and good job and what not. Happy Day! BUT.. here comes the important part. When my dad got home, I showed him. He smiled, said it was cool... then he pulled me close and hugged me and told me he was proud of me. Ok, I'm crying now... again. That single moment and those 4 words me muttered made the 8am classes, the test anxiety, the sleepless nights and the hours upon hours of research and putting up with a few sucky teachers.....totally....and.... completely...worth... it... ALL.

I could go on now about the kids and how their doing, but I think I'll save all that for another blog, which I promise (this time for real) will come sooner. For now, I had to get that last moment out there and share my good news with everyone!

Love to all!!

(p.s. I swear one of these days a blog will actually come at midnight. Well, it's midnight somewhere in the world right??? )

No comments:

Post a Comment