Below is my first writing assignment in Sociology. The only instruction we received was to watch people and write a paper about it.
My teacher is still laughing...
*********
This should be entertaining.
I walk into the grocery entrance at the Ames Wal-Mart with my mom lagging behind me, under the heaters of the entrance. Our destination is the corner table in the McDonalds in the front of the store. Mom sets her things at the table and joins me at the counter to get some snacks while we observe the crazy people around us.
The lady that takes our order greets us with way to big of a smile. One that says,” Hello, I hate my job, but I must be nice to you because the guy in the blue shirt behind me is my boss.” I order my food while mom stands there and looks at the menu like she’s never been to a McDonalds before. After an eternity, she orders and turns to walk back to the table. Wait a minute… how did I get stuck with the bill?!
We sit down at our table after I fill our drinks and pull our notebooks out. Mom has situated herself so her back is to the entrance and she’s facing the checkout lanes. I’m guessing her plan is to check out the hot guys that are coming through the lanes. Darn it, I was going to take that spot! I grudgingly place myself opposite her facing the vast produce section and the entrance.
From here I see a surprisingly almost empty section of Wal-Mart. Apples, oranges, limes, lemons and a huge variety of veggies are in sight. Thinking that it might be too empty to do my observations on, I let my eyes wander to the Wal-Mart greeter. He’s a short Asian guy with overly spiky hair, but dressed rather nicely. Not bad looking I suppose. Nice enough to stare at for half an hour I guess. Well, I’m already seated here, might as well stay.
I check my phone for the time. Mom gives me a dirty look, like I was about to make another phone call. I’m way too addicted to this thing. It’s already replaced my watch, IPod, home phone and laptop. But, I digress…
Time: 5:10 pm
I start to write.
5:10 pm
· ....Two women who must know each other stop to talk in the middle of the produce aisle. I hate it when people do this! One taller lady is wearing an incredibly puffy green jacket. I’ve no clue as to her shape underneath it. How unflattering. She’s talking with her hands, waving them around so much I’m half expecting her to take flight.
· ....The greeter stands by the theft detectors watching people as they walk in and out of the store. Um, isn’t he supposed to be talking to them? I thought that was the point of a greeter…
· ....A really tall guy with messed up hair (do people not look at themselves when they leave the house?) picks up an apple from the bin. He holds it to his nose and takes a huge whiff. I wonder what he expects it to smell like? Chicken maybe? Some people…
· ....Glancing back at the two women, I see a guy stops behind them waiting to go around. They totally ignore him. The lady talking with her hands just about smacks him in the face. Ok, that would have been hilarious! I see him mouth the word “Whoa!” and they turn to look at him like he was rude for the interruption. The lady in the middle of the row moves over what I’m guessing was half an inch and the man shoves past.
5:20 pm
· ....The two women are still talking. The other woman, wearing a green jacket, shifts her weight uncomfortably as if she wishes to escape the conversation. I don’t blame her in the least.
· ....A red headed woman stops at the apples. I’ve noticed many people stopping by the bin and realize it’s because they are only $1/pound. Oh! That’s a good price! I might have to stop to buy some before we leave. The redheaded shopper walks over to the limes next. Apple and limes? Memo to self: Don’t eat at her house. She then proceeds to wander around as if she’s lost. Probably trying to find something that goes with apple and lime.
· ....My little greeter friend is still standing there watching people walk by. He’s yet to say anything to anyone. I chuckle as I relate this fact to mom.
5:30 pm
· ....A very well-to-do looking woman dressed to the nines rams her cart into the apple bin in her attempt to get closer to them. In the process, she knocks 4 apples to the floor. She swings her head around fast and bends over to pick them up. She better not… Oh my god, she put them back in the bin! Well, so much for me buying apples before I leave.
· ....An elderly couple starts their shopping by walking past the vegetables. They are currently arguing as the woman waves a bunch of broccoli in front of the man’s face. I’d bet five dollars that he doesn’t want to eat it.
· ....The “greeter” was forced to speak to someone after they asked him a question. He didn’t look enthused about the idea. At this very moment, his back is to me facing the baked goods with one hand in his pocket and the other poking at the top of some cupcakes. I laugh out loud at this as I again relate this detail to mom.
5:35 pm
· ....The produce department is shockingly devoid of people! How surprising!
· ....My eyes wander across the table to mom. She’s wearing my favorite light blue sweater of hers. Her glasses are perched precariously at the tip of her nose. She looks over them at the people in the checkouts, trying ever so discreetly to observe them without drawing their attention. She reminds me of a cute little ninja in a flower patterned outfit I saw in an anime once. I duck my head and write some more as I try to hold in my laughter.
· ....Uh oh. Someone’s in trouble! Here comes the “greeters” boss. He asks the kid to help a customer out with a brand new, rather large, entertainment center. I’m guessing someone got tax money back! The “greeter” looks at the box, looks out the door, looks at his boss and gave him the biggest cheesiest “Oh course!” grin I’ve ever seen. Again, I laugh at the guy.
5:40 pm
· ....A short guy in a Navy Pea coat is picking through the apples now. Um, I wouldn’t take that top one, guy…
· ....A very tired looking woman pushes a cart with a crying baby past the oranges. She turns her back to look through the apples and the baby reaches out of the cart and grabs an orange off the shelf. I wait with bated breath as I see in my head the oranges all tumbling off the shelf. Unfortunately they stay where they are. Mom places the apples in the basket and starts pushing the cart again. I wonder to myself how long it will take her to notice the kid has an orange in her hand.
· ....My “greeter” friend is back inside looking like he’s frozen. He had come back just in time for the alarm to go off. He looks rather annoyed that he had to do two things in a row. Now he’s back to not greeting people, although, I thought I saw him smile at a good looking girl that walked out. Well, at least the cupcakes are safe for the time being.
· ....The two women that were talking in the middle of the aisle…. Are still talking.
· ....I start to tell mom about my observations so far. I look up at her and she’s shoving fries into her mouth. I have the irresistible urge to tell her that the FDA called, there’s no fry shortage today, but since she’s my ride home, I resist.
5:50 pm
· ....Wow! Where did all these people in the produce department come from?
· ....An older woman in a coat that’s so checkered it’s almost painful to my eyes, picks up an apple that was on the floor. I cringe at the thought and hope to myself that she washes her produce before eating it.
· ....I watch as a middle aged woman in a long tan coat walks around a display 4 times. Is she lost too? How do you get lost walking around…. Never mind, I don’t want to know.
· ....A short Chinese lady is digging through the limes in a frenzy. She’s so short, I half expect her to fall into them with her little legs kicking in the air as she tries to get that perfect lime from the way bottom.
· ....My new friend, the Anti-Greeter, has noticed me watching him and is staring back at me with a puzzled look on his face. He starts to look a little nervous as he sees me writing and watching him. He suddenly starts greeting people. Four people in under a minute. I think it’s a personal best for him. He looks back at me, greets someone, looks at me, greets, looks, greets… I chuckle and think about telling him that I was from immigration or something. I should probably tell him what I’m doing before I leave… that would be a whole other paper though.
Mom clears her throat and says she’s had enough of these crazy people. I on the other hand, I’m feeling perfectly content watching the Anti –Greeter. She starts putting her things away and I fold up my notebook. The Anti-Greeter talks to a lady coworker and then turns around and starts walking towards where mom and I are sitting. I utter a tiny gasp as he walks past us with a confused look to me. Oh my, I thought he was going to say something! Well, so much for telling him about the paper. Mom breaks through my thoughts with a single word – Shopping! - and the only thing I want to observe now is my money getting spent.
This was the best thing I've read in quite some time! Very graphic, that is, telling as to what exactly -- in mouth-watering detail -- is going on at every given instant. So funny too! Love it Jenna! -Adam
ReplyDeletePS - The Anti-Greeter... priceless.